Friday, January 3, 2014

Baby it's cold outside

As a Floridian, I have come to the conclusion that I am not made for the cold weather we are having.  I sit in my office wearing my winter coat and beanie because I simply can not warm up! My hands are like ice as I sit here and type and I sit Indian style in my seat to keep my feet warm. In saying this, I feel absolutely ashamed.  

I work right in the heart of downtown Jacksonville;  I have a window that overlooks a busy one way street. On a daily basis the homeless walk back and forth in front of my office. Today there was some office chatter taking place about how cold it is and the homeless were brought up on why they were out on the streets (in a jokingly matter by co-workers) I was rather taken back as I sat and listened. I did speak up and said that we should be thankful that we can each go to our homes that has heat, and by my mentioning of this, it was merely dismissed. Tonight when we get into our warm beds and snuggle up in our blankets with our loved ones, these people, the homeless, the less fortunate, will struggle looking for that exact warmth and shelter.  God doesn't see them any differently than he sees us. He created these men, women and children in the like of his own image, we are a part of that same category.

I have looked at our forecast for the next several days/week and here in Jacksonville and it is supposed to be pretty chilly.  Something we are not used to. I challenge each of you to this. This weekend, I am going to gather blankets and gently used jackets that we can no longer use or wear in our home and take them to one of our shelters downtown in the next coming days.  I am not sharing this to "brag", but just to encourage you to get outside of your comfort zone and respond to a need that our city has. I feel God has always placed on my heart to help the less fortunate, and I want to teach my children to have a servants heart. When God chooses us to do HIS work, then we should respond and do it however uncomfortable it may be. 


Blessings!
xo


"Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." Philippians 2:4 

"If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother.  Deuteronomy 15:7


1 comment: