Thursday, March 27, 2014

How to raise a teenager?


I am not quite sure, can someone please tell me.  -K- thanks!




Everyday I ask myself that question. "How do I raise a teenager?"  Especially a daughter, and one day I will have teenagers all at the same time, but at least at that point, I'll have a little testosterone to throw into this mixture of hormonal women.  Geeesh, I am really going to feel sorry for these boys.  We are definitely going to need some kind of man-cave in our house Joshua.

In a way, I don't think it can necessarily be all on the parents. I've heard it takes a village to raise kids, I think it takes more like a flipping city or community to raise a teenager! Especially in our world today.

I am so grateful to be able to say that I or we have that surrounding us. I am grateful for our loved ones, our church family and friends we consider family to help raise this teenage child.

                                                   I can feel the gray hairs begin to sprout!



Blessings!
xo

2 comments:

  1. Hello sister Jennifer. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog "Crave" (Hope is what we Crave). and the post on it " How to raise a teen ager". You have a real question to ask. I want to quote one verse "Fathers (mothers) do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" Ephesians 6:4. Well I am blessed to know you and your family. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 34yrs in the great city of Mumbai and had an opportunity to raise three children who are well grown up in the Lord and of them two are in the ministry of restoration. Well speaking about the city of MUMBAI, INIDA which is known for contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai to work with us in the slums of Mumbai among poorest of poor sharing the good news of Jesus Christ and giving them new hope, life and purpose. during their summer vacation ( short / long term missions trip). We would love to have your teen aged daughter come along with her friends to work with us I am sure if you send her or share this opportunity with other young people from your church, if they come will have a life changing experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your openness on your blog.

    Raising a teenager is a challenge. We raised 3 - a boy and two girls. Thankfully, they are all in their 20s now and serious about their futures.

    I think you are right about the village. For us it was our immediate family, some extended family (we chose; not all extended family qualifies as healthy members of the village), the church, and friends.

    There were times when I called someone and said, "We need you to spend some time/give some attention to one of our kids." I've actually done this for all three. Sometimes it was for encouragement, sometimes for community/connection, and sometimes for correction. These "village members" were life savers for us.

    From your post I would say you are on the right track!

    Warren

    ReplyDelete